Sunday, February 7, 2010

Advice for Those who Come After

Moving to a new country can be difficult. Arming yourself with as much information as possible can make that transition smoother. This blog aims to give newcomers some helpful information about coming to South Korea & getting orientated after arriving (specifically, much of the information which was not available to me when I came in June of 2009). Hopefully it will make moving across the globe a little bit easier.
Most items will be more relevant to those living in/around Seoul. (I live about 40 minutes Northeast of Seoul in Gyeonggi provence.)
I asked many friends and fellow ESL teachers for advice about the types of information they thought I should share in this blog. The one response I got over and over was for people to try and gather as much information as possible about Korea's culture and customs before coming. If you've never been to Asia, it will be an adjustment. And if you resist accepting the differences here, even long after your arrival, it will make your year-long stay here much harder.

If you believe something is missing, please don't hesitate to post it as a comment or send me a message. The same goes for mis-information; please let me know if you feel I've got it wrong. Over time this information will probably fall out of date, but I will do my best to keep updating it for as long as possible!

2 comments:

  1. Great information. I really enjoyed your tips and suggestions. One comment/suggestion though, I noticed you said northwest of Seoul but it should be northeast. Sorry for the correction. Great stuff, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Even geoquest hasn't sorted me out yet! All fixed now (though it might have been useful if the Northerners came looking for me!)x

    ReplyDelete