Saturday, April 24, 2010

A few words of Caution...

Browsing the net recently, my boyfriend found a really interesting article. I would suggest reading it if you are considering teaching abroad, especially South Korea. I will say, don't believe everything you hear on the web, but I also advise you to move forward with caution.

Months ago we had a conversation with many other foreign teachers we know. And we began to discuss if we would recommend teaching abroad in South Korea to people we knew. Most of us said that we would have to tell the person it is so hit or miss, you may very well find yourself unhappy. That said, I've met plenty of people who have come over and had the most amazing time. But again, the tone of your school will most likely have the strongest affect on your overall experience.

This article also gives a list of questions to ask. I think they are brilliant. And even if you think some of what you read here or in the article is far-fetched, I would strongly advise asking these questions. It can't hurt & has the possibility of preventing you from ending up at a school you will grow to hate.

Of everything in the article the biggest thing I would suggest doing would be to get the emails of some current teachers at the school!!! At least the email of one teacher. Ask them questions. They will be the biggest help to letting you know what your potential school will be like for a foreigner.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/publications/magazine/0503/teaching_english_abroad_the_good_the_bad_the_ugly.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment